Pots


This project started with fifty potted plants one Tuesday in 2006. The finished series has been edited down to 10 photos. It is important to acknowledge the other forty images because they represent the other forty plants that are important though they are not visually represented. Each photo becomes a symbol of this simple action. I left potted plans at residential houses, parked cars, bus stops, and commercial businesses. Each pot became a gift to a unknown stranger. With the gift came an unknown level of responsibility. The responsibility to take care of this object, nurture it, watch it grow. Now that is been to years I wonder if the plants are still alive, did anyone ever pick them up, were they appreciated.Through photographing the objects I humanize them. They look like small babies which are left have been left one's doorstep.
During this time I had just graduated from school. Though I was already a resident of Los Angeles for four years, this was my first attempt to make Los Angeles my home outside of college. In many ways this experiment was a way to see if I can get someone to invite me in their home, to see who would let me through their front door.
Pots