Happy Birthday



On my 24th birthday I had 24 people, close friend, family, etc., each blow out a birthday candle and make a wish. For me this idea came from a Sophie Calle artwork in which she started to preserving every gift that she had received. I thought it would be nice to flip the action around. Birthdays focus so much on one individual. I'll the first to admit that it feels really great have a specific day devoted to me. Everyone makes sure to call you, see how you doing, even give you presents. But I think birthdays, like all celebration, are about recognizing the support of one's surrounding community. The birthday wish is consider the most likely wish to come true. If that's the case after all chaos I bring to those around, see Toothbrushes, then here's a small opportunity to give something back.
candle